Friday, July 22, 2011

Does Prince need to sit?

Nah, I'm not saying for days and days or anything...but just a day or 2.

To my eye, he's pressing.  His at-bat in the 9th inning exemplified that more than any other at-bat I've seen from ANY batter this year.  Of course, I'm not saying he's hit the wall or is terrible.  With Yuni, incessant pop ups and weak grounders are expected.  But in that 9th inning, Prince just waved at 3 straight pitches that were close-ish, but easily off the plate and not particularly nasty.

He's lost much of the plate discipline and patience we saw earlier this year and much of last year that basically forced the pitcher to walk him because he just wasn't going to switch at a pitch he couldn't hit.  Additionally, with Rickie behind Prince for the last 6 games (right, 6?), the pitcher at least has had to pause and just not just give Prince the unintentional, intentional walk.

I know Prince wants to play everyday and I absolutely HATE taking a legitimate bat out of the lineup, but I think it's for the greater good to just give him a day or 2.

I've been absent for a bit, so I want to do a quick hit, but hopefully, I can put together a more complete post on options for the left side of the infield.  (Hint: See the title of the blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment